Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Easy Slow Cooker Meal: Ham and Black Beans and more

Dwija is having a recipe link up.  I don't have any pictures, but wanted to jump on the bandwagon.  My slow cooker is my right arm, my favorite household tool.  It's like my own personal chef.  I dump it all in the in the morning and have dinner ready for me at night.  I have a collection of slow cookers, three to be exact....maybe I should photograph that!?!

Anyway, this is my favorite easy recipe and my family gobbles it up.  it just may be the easiest recipe I have.  I like the dump and walk away technique of slow cooking.  If a recipe has multiple steps, requires extensive prep or asks to precook portions of the ingredients, I usually walk away.  My one exception is the fact that I have a slow cooker plate that works with my Kitchen Kraft pots.  I can start something on the stove and then add the rest of the ingredients before placing on the plate.  My traditional round slow cooker with removable crock is what I use for side dishes like sweet potatoes or beets.  I also use it for desserts like pumpkin pudding. 



Without further adieu, here is my recipe:

  • One hambone with some ham still attached (If you like a lot of ham, add some mre in, if not put in just the bone)

  • One pound dry black beans

  • One box beef stock

  • 2 cups of water

Optional add ins:
A shot or two of Worcheshire sauce
One chopped onion
A shot of soy sauce

Place ham bone in slow cooker, pour remaining ingredients over top.  Make sure that the beans are completely covered with liquid.  Turn it on and walk away.  It has to cook at least 6-8 hours but tastes even better when it goes a little longer.  We serve it over rice, baked potatoes, or just straight up in a bowl.  Makes great quesadilla filling when left over.  We often add hot sauce to left overs and mix it with some gluten free pasta and shredded cheese for an easy Chili Mac dinner.  We can seriously get at least 4-5 meals out of one pot of black beans and ham, and my children are all very big eaters.  We just keep reusing, re-purposing, and adding a little of this or that to stretch the beans.

This recipe makes a really generous portion and I usually have more than we can eat in a couple of meals.  I freeze a large Pyrex container for another night when I don't have time to cook, and I have my slow cooker do the work of getting it heated up as well.  I simply place the frozen portion in the crock and set on low, with in 5-6 hours it is piping hot and delicious!

So, as I write this, I am feeling inspired to share more....so, let's make this a Five Fave post and link up with Jenna, too.

2

Crockpot Chicken
This is the most versitle and easy recipe out there and again makes extras for left overs.

  • One "family" package chicken leg quarters (if frozen start on high and then switch to low 2 hours in)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • One spring rosemary
Put chicken in the crock pot, drizzle over oil, top with rosemary.  Cook until you are ready for dinner (6+ hours) on low.   What's that you say? No fresh rosemary?  No problem.  Season the chicken anyway you like--salt and pepper; celery seed, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt; Seasoned salt and paprika; or onion powder and oregano.  Really anything you want.  We use the left over chicken in salads, soups, and pasta dishes.  I save the broth made by slow cooking and use it in place of water to make tasty rice or a delicious, hearty soup the next day.


3

Lemon Chicken
  • One whole chicken with gizzard bag removed  
  • One whole lemon
  • salt and pepper
Place lemon inside chicken cavity, put chicken in crock pot, season with salt and pepper.  Cook on low 8-10 hours.  That's it. 


4

"Mole" Chili

My youngest son is allergic to tomatoes, that has changed our diet quiet a bit. One thing we missed the most was chili.  I develped this tomato free chili to fill that void.  Best of all, it is so easy!
  • One bag of beans (We like to use pinto or black beans but you can use any bean you like)
  • One onion chopped
  • One small jar pickled jalepeno slices
  • 1 Tbsp Chili powder
  • 2 Tbsp Onion Powder
  • 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 2 Tbsp Cumin
  • 2 Tbsp Paprika
  • 3 Tbsp unprocessed cocoa powder (The kind for baking not hot chocolate.) 
  • 2 Tbsp mini dark chocolate chips (optional--but adds some body)
  • 2 baked sweet potatoes with skins removed, mashed (optional--again adds body to sauce.  I have been known to cheat and use sweet potato baby food)
  • One pound ground meat, browned (optional--If you don't have time to brown the meat, just have a meatless chili, we eat it both ways.)
Add first 8 ingredients to slow cooker along with meat and sweet potatoes, if desired.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours on low until beans are tender.  Add cocoa and chocolate and cook on low an additional hour.  Serve with sour cream.

5

Spinach and Rice "Quiche"

This isn't a slow cooker meal, but it is a family favorite and so easy to make.
  • 1 serving brown rice (I use minute rice or left over)
  • 1 box frozen spinach at least partially defrosted
  • 6-8 eggs beaten
  • garlic salt
  • grated cheese
In a rectangular baking dish (mine is about 6 x 10) spread rice on the bottom.  Top with spinach. Sprinkle on garlic salt and grated cheese to taste, I only use a very little Parmesan cheese.  Pour beaten eggs over top so that they fill the pan and cover the rice and spinach.  Bake at 350 until middle is set.  Cut into squares and serve.
     

Any great recipes that you have to share?  Post them in the comments, please.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these! I am putting that Spinach & Rice Quiche on my menu plan for a Friday soon. Spinach is a favorite recipe in our house and we will eat anything with spinach in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great. We have the opposite in our house. I would eat spinach every day but the rest of the family really doesn't like it. Surprisingly, they all enjoy and actually request that bake, even my picky eater! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Clicked over from House Unseen and wanted to say my boys are allergic to tomatoes, too! Such a strange thing. I might have to try that mole recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help. You can add more cocoa and less jalapenos according to your taste. The cocoa tempers the heat but it is still a little spicy. We usually serve over rice for the kids--although my boys like spice. Let me know what you think when you try it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete