Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Let's Get Planning: Morning Meeting

Linking up with Kelly.


Last year, we started having Morning Meeting each day.  I wasn't sure how it would go, but it revolutionized our homeschool.  Here is my plan for this year.  You can find my plans from last year here.



1
A Nest for Celeste
Literature- We will read a chapter or two each day of the following books in this order. The first five were some of my favorite books as a child.
2
Religion- We have amassed a large collection of St Joseph's picture books and Fr Lovasik books.  Last year, we finally started reading through them.  I plan on reading two chapters a day of each of these:
3
Hymns- We like to start with a hymn.  Last year, I planned on doing a new hymn every month, this proved too ambitious.  Here are the three that we plan on learning this year, spending a few months on each.
4
Just Stories: The Kind That Never Grow Old., Herbst SDS., Winfrid.
Catholic Stories- We so enjoyed Catholic Stories for Boys and Girls last year.  This year we will read a story a day from Just Stories.  When we run out of them, I plan on moving onto Angel Food for Boys and Girls.


5
The First Christians
Bible Study- We will continue to read the Psalm of the Day.  In addition, on Thursdays, we will pre-read the Mass reading for Sunday and discuss. Lastly, we are reading The First Christians by Marigold Hunt. 
6
https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/Science2forLittleFolks/product_info.html
Science-This year I am adding science to morning meeting.  It seems to be the subject I have the hardest time fitting in.  My children spend a lot of time studying nature, watching science movies, and learning about creation but it's time to do some more formal study. We will be reading the following books over the course of the year:
  1. Exploring Creation with Physical Science (One module per a week.)
7
Life of Fred Kidneys teaches intermediate mathematics
Mathmatics- We are using Life of Fred in conjunction with other math practice. We are reading the following books, all together:
  1. Edgewater
  2. Farming
  3. Goldfish
Then Cowgirl and I are covering the following, sometimes the boys join in sometimes not.  This really isn't part of Morning Meeting, but I thought I would share.
  1. Kidneys
  2. Liver
  3. Mineshaft
  4. Fractions
  5. **Possibly Percentages and Decimals
I'm hoping to also include some picture books, this site has a really nice list of picture books that teach mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment