Friday, February 5, 2016

A Walk Through My Week

To all those blogging, homeschooling mamas out there who manage to post regularly all the time, kudos to you! I don't know how you do it because I seem to be struggling to keep up with everything.  So, while I had at least three posts in mind for this week, this is the only one you are getting, dear readers.  There's always next week, right?  {Little Man's new desire to "help" with typing hasn't really made posting easy either.  When I posted my To-Don't List, I went back and re-read it and realized how many typos were in there. Ouch!  Between dodging those blonde locks and ten extra fingers on the keyboard, my editing skills were non-existent.  So, I apologize and hope that this post works out better.}  Linking up with Kelly.



1

I have mentioned before that I am working on another mother/daughter retreat series. This is actually going to published into a manual with all the talks, craft instructions, resources, and more.  It will be available through my etsy shop in late April.  If you would like a sneak peak, please become an email subscriber for a free sample file.  

2

As part of writing the mother/daughter retreat manual, I have been researching and gathering lists of resources for the girls and their moms.  I had planned on putting together a #5Favs post about places to find modest teen clothing--as you can see it didn't happen.  Now, I realize that modest teen clothing is almost an oxymoron these days, but I didn't realize just how hard it would be.  Many of the places advertising teen or tween clothes either had nothing for sale in that department or just a black skirt and a turtleneck.  So, I am still searching and hope to have the list up next week.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.  I have found a few places, but am still in search of more every day clothing vendors--apparently formal wear is easier to come by.

3

Tuesday was Candlemas and we invited dear friends over to celebrate with us.  I decided to make these votive jars with the kids, except we used jars from the recycling bin.  I like that they are refillable and I had battery operated tea lights for the old kids to use when they want to light a candle for a special prayer request. They had a great time and the jars turned out so pretty.  We used prayer cards that I picked up from our parish store and the nice thing is the prayer on the back is still readable through the top of the jar.









4

After making the votive jars, we rolled some beeswax candles.  I contemplated making jar candles, but that seemed very complicated and pouring hot wax with very active little ones about seemed like a recipe for disaster.  I purchased two kits from Sunflower Candles.  The first made two candles and came with extra pieces of colored beeswax for decorations. The second kit made three tapered candles.  Ann is a wonderful shopkeeper, I have ordered from her in the past and am always satisfied.  She graciously included an extra ready made candle to use as a sample for the children.  The children were so creative with the colored beeswax and enjoyed that part of the craft time best. Aren't they lovely?




5

This Sunday we will bring our candles and candle holders to church to be blessed and try to light one of the candles each day when we pray the St Michael prayer and for special liturgical feasts, like Easter.  If rolled correctly, these little beeswax candles last a long time.

6

So, you know all those blogs with smiling children who pose beuatifully and look like magazine models?  Well, this isn't one of them.  I tried to get Buddy to display his votive jar in such a way, and this is what I got.  At least he is smiling, kind of.  Little Man had to get in on the act, too, with his cheesy picture smile.




7

I posted this on Facebook, but would like to ask again for prayers for Lizz.  My heartbreaks for her and her children.  I have thought a lot about having to say goodbye to my children and what their life would be like without me.  I have friends who have walked that road and I have marveled at how they handled it, but still questioned why God would take a young mother whose children need her so!  God has a plan, I know.  Please pray that this family will be wrapped in His Love and Protection, and if it be His Will may receive the miracle they so desperately need.




2 comments:

  1. Those are some great looking candles.

    In terms of modest girl clothes, What helped me as a teen was just skipping the tween department all together. Many women's stores have petite departments that can fit young girls. It is a little more expensive, but the quality is crazy awesome. You have to frame it as choosing to be classy and mature as a young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, that is a very good idea. Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by.

      Delete